Thursday, October 20, 2011

Melting Pots are gross, I'd rather eat a salad bowl!

In the short essay by Hannibal B. Johnson, the author fights the saying of the American Dream and America being a huge melting pot full of different kind of people. Johnson states that a melting pot makes it seem like everyone coming to America should blend in with everyone else. The thing is, people from other countries and different races shouldn't be trying to blend in and fit in the American dream. The great part of America is that there is SO much diversity! Anywhere you look, you can see a blend of different colors of skin, different races, and different languages. If I wasn't born and raised in America, I feel like I would embrace where I am from. Show Americans how cool my country is and how my culture works compared to theirs. Johnson says in his short essay, "The concoction in our mythical melting pot looks, feels, and tastes like Pablum. Compare that with the richness and zest of the colorful assortment in my salad bowl. Each ingredient retains it's individual integrity. Each ingredient adds unmistakeable character to the whole. Together, they flavor a vibrant, all-American piece de resistance. Forget the melting pot. Make mine a salad bowl!" (Johnson, Page 210) I couldn't have put that in any better words, he explains it so clearly that all of the different kind of people shouldn't be melted together but put together in a big bowl to show all the different kind of people and flavors America has to offer. A salad bowl has lots of wonderful taste in every single bite. I love the new expression of America being a salad bowl, the only kind of melting pot I want to see is this! http://www.meltingpot.com/our-menu.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Good point about embracing where you are from. What is your ethnic heritage and do you do anything to celebrate it? Special traditions or meals?

    ReplyDelete